ETIC Green Standard (EGS) Comprehensive Guide
At ETIC Green Standard (EGS), we firmly believe that responsible and sustainable travel is more than a trend—it’s a responsibility. Our commitment to this cause is epitomized through our four pillars of certification. These pillars intricately assess every facet of your stay, ensuring it aligns with ethical, environmental, and social values. Let’s dive into the heart of each pillar, unraveling the profound impact they collectively have on your travel experience and the world at large.
Pillar 1: Environment – Preserving Our Planet’s Beauty
|1.1. Conserving Resources
|1.2. Reducing Pollution
|1.3. Conserving Biodiversity, Ecosystems & Landscapes
|1.1.1. Environmentally-Friendly Products
|1.2.1. Greenhouse Gas Emissions
|1.3.1. Wildlife Species
|1.1.2. Consumable Goods
|1.2.2. Waste Water Management
|1.3.2. Wildlife in Captivity
|1.1.3. Energy Conservation
|1.2.3. Waste Management
|1.1.4. Water Conservation
|1.2.4. Harmful Substances
|1.3.4. Biodiversity Conservation
|1.2.5. Minimize Pollution
|1.3.5. Interaction with Wildlife
1.1. Conserving Resources:
- Environmentally-Friendly Products: Hotels that go the extra mile to provide guests with eco-conscious products contribute to minimizing the burden on our planet. Each recycled toiletry container and biodegradable cleaning supply matters.
- Consumable Goods: We meticulously evaluate how hotels approach sourcing, using, and managing consumable goods. This extends beyond a mere logistical concern—it’s a statement of sustainability that reduces waste and conserves resources.
- Energy Conservation: By embracing energy efficiency and exploring renewable energy sources, hotels take the lead in preserving our planet’s precious energy resources. Solar panels, energy-efficient lighting, and smart energy management systems all play a role in this vital endeavor.
- Water Conservation: EGS examines hotels’ commitment to responsible water consumption. From low-flow faucets to innovative water recycling systems, the aim is to use this precious resource sustainably.
1.2. Reducing Pollution:
- Greenhouse Gas Emissions: Hotels’ dedication to reducing their carbon footprint is a cornerstone of responsible hospitality. From energy-efficient appliances to carbon offset programs, every effort counts in the fight against climate change.
- Waste Water Management: Proper waste water treatment is more than just a legal obligation—it’s a testament to a hotel’s commitment to preserving local water bodies and ecosystems. By adhering to rigorous waste water management standards, hotels ensure clean and healthy surroundings.
- Waste Management: A commitment to waste reduction, recycling, and proper waste disposal sets a responsible example. EGS-rated hotels are champions of minimizing waste generation and maximizing recycling efforts.
- Harmful Substances: Toxic chemicals harm both our environment and us. EGS mandates hotels to refrain from using harmful substances in their operations, ensuring that your stay has a minimal negative impact.
- Minimize Pollution: Pollution reduction isn’t a single action—it’s a collective commitment. Hotels that establish comprehensive pollution mitigation strategies make a tangible contribution to the environment’s well-being.
1.3. Conserving Biodiversity, Ecosystems & Landscapes:
- Wildlife Species: Hotels that actively participate in protecting local wildlife species foster biodiversity conservation. Through habitat preservation and responsible practices, they contribute to a thriving ecosystem.
- Wildlife in Captivity: Responsible treatment of captive wildlife is a measure of a hotel’s ethical values. EGS standards ensure that animals are treated with respect and their well-being is upheld.
- Landscaping: Hotels’ landscaping choices influence local ecosystems. EGS celebrates hotels that prioritize native plant species, reducing water consumption and supporting local wildlife.
- Biodiversity Conservation: Hotels that engage in biodiversity conservation efforts play a pivotal role in maintaining the delicate balance of local flora and fauna.
- Interaction with Wildlife: Ethical interaction with wildlife is essential. EGS ensures that hotels provide opportunities for respectful wildlife experiences that neither disturb nor harm the animals.
Pillar 2: Social – Empowering Communities
2.1. Fair Trade:
- Community Development: Hotels that actively engage in community development projects amplify their positive impact. EGS recognizes their efforts to uplift and enrich the lives of the communities they operate in.
- Local Development: Supporting local businesses isn’t just an economic choice; it’s a cultural commitment. EGS highlights hotels that integrate local products and services into their operations, creating a symbiotic relationship with the community.
- Fair Trade: Choosing ethically sourced and produced goods benefits both the local economy and the planet. EGS values hotels that champion fair trade practices, ensuring that artisans receive fair compensation for their craft.
- Support Local Entrepreneurs: EGS celebrates hotels that contribute to the growth of local entrepreneurs and artisans, fostering sustainable economic empowerment.
- Respect Local Communities: Culture and traditions define a community. EGS standards emphasize that hotels must honor and respect local customs, forging a harmonious coexistence.
2.2. Labour Rights:
- Exploitation and Harassment: The well-being of employees matters deeply. EGS-rated hotels are committed to providing safe and respectful working environments, free from exploitation and harassment.
- Equal Opportunity: Hotels that promote diversity and inclusivity create an environment where everyone thrives. EGS assesses hotels on their commitment to providing equal opportunities for all.
- Labour Rights: Fair wages, reasonable working hours, and overall labor rights are non-negotiable. EGS ensures that hotels prioritize these rights, fostering a culture of dignity and respect.
- Community Services: Giving back is an integral part of responsible hospitality. Hotels that engage in community service projects demonstrate a commitment to the well-being of the communities they serve.
- Local Services: Supporting local services, from food suppliers to tour guides, strengthens the local economy and fosters a sense of authenticity in the guest experience.
Pillar 3: Culture and Site Protection – Embracing Heritage
3.1. Culture Visits and Promotions:
Culture Visits and Promotions: EGS celebrates hotels that showcase and promote authentic cultural experiences, allowing guests to immerse themselves in the rich tapestry of local heritage.
3.2. Historical Artefacts:
Historical Artefacts: EGS advocates for the preservation of historical artifacts, recognizing their role in keeping the cultural narrative alive for generations to come.
3.3. Protection of Sites:
Protection of Sites: Hotels that actively safeguard historical and natural sites contribute to the preservation of the destination’s unique identity.
3.4. Incorporation of Culture:
Incorporation of Culture: EGS encourages hotels to seamlessly weave local culture into the guest experience, creating enriching memories that transcend the ordinary.
Pillar 4: Sustainable Management – Nurturing Responsible Leadership
4.1. Sustainable Management System:
Sustainable Management System: EGS evaluates hotels on the comprehensiveness of their sustainability strategies. From waste reduction to community engagement, a robust system reflects the commitment to responsible leadership.
Health and Safety:
A safe and secure stay is paramount. EGS ensures that hotels uphold health and safety regulations, creating an environment where guests and staff can thrive.
Operating within the bounds of the law is essential. EGS-certified hotels demonstrate their commitment to ethical and legal conduct, ensuring a seamless and lawful experience for all.
Empowered employees drive change. EGS recognizes hotels that provide ongoing training on ethical and sustainable practices, nurturing a culture of responsibility.
Exceptional hospitality encompasses ethical values. EGS acknowledges hotels that provide remarkable guest experiences while staying true to responsible practices.
Accuracy of Promotional Materials:
Transparent communication builds trust. EGS mandates that hotels accurately represent their ethical and sustainable efforts in promotional materials, empowering guests to make informed choices.
4.2. Buildings and Infrastructure:
Buildings and Infrastructure Compliance:
EGS standards ensure that hotels comply with ethical infrastructure standards. From structural integrity to fire safety, guests can rest assured knowing their safety is a priority.
Buildings and Infrastructure Integrity:
Integrating architecture with nature is an art. EGS celebrates hotels that seamlessly blend their buildings with the natural and cultural surroundings, preserving the harmony of the environment.
Buildings and Infrastructure Practices:
Sustainable construction practices are paramount. EGS encourages the use of eco-friendly building materials and methods that contribute to a greener future.
4.3. Adaptive Incorporation:
Access for Persons with Special Needs:
Inclusivity is at the core of responsible hospitality. EGS-certified hotels provide accessible facilities and services, ensuring that all guests enjoy a barrier-free experience.
Interpretation of the Natural Surroundings:
Enhancing the guest experience goes beyond aesthetics. EGS recognizes hotels that offer interpretations of the natural environment, deepening the connection between guests and their surroundings.
Reporting and Communication:
Transparency is the foundation of accountability. EGS-certified hotels practice effective reporting and communication of their sustainable efforts, inspiring a culture of responsible travel.
The pillars of EGS standards reflect our dedication to a better world, one journey at a time. By choosing EGS-certified accommodations, you are not just making a reservation—you are contributing to a movement that redefines travel for a brighter future.
Embark Responsibly. Choose EGS. Shape Tomorrow.